Tadashi Shoji is recognized for his original and innovative collections. His first collection was launched in 1982 in L.A and has since steadily gained ground in major departmental and specialty stores worldwide, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s, and Lord & Taylor. Internationally, the brand is available at high-end retailers such as: Vakko, Harvey Nichols Dubai, and Rustan’s. (source: tadashishoji.com)
Tadashi Shoji has not only captured celebrities in his designs but he has captured our hearts through his cleverly placed details in his designs. We have increasingly seen his fashion muse Octavia Spencer in his designs and we are convinced that some of his style works for the curvy women. We believe the message you are trying to pass across Mr Shoji.
Here are different ways to learn from Mr Tadashi Shoji Styling for Octavia Spencer.
Step 1 – Cleverly create an illusion
The pattern is cleverly placed around Octavia’s silhouette in order to create a perfect hourglass shape when infact she is a round silhouette. Go for dresses that cleverly create a slimming effect like the dress Octavia is wearing in this picture.
2. Experiment with different style. A drop waist dress style doesn’t always work on a round shape but it works well for Octavia in this picture.
3. Define your waist – Adding a belt to your ensemble will cinch in your waist and show it off perfectly where it might not be naturally visible.
4. Ruched, ruched, ruched – Check out the ruched design on Octavia’s dresses, they create a perfect silhouette for her body shape.
5. Experiment with different necklines. Wearing the right neckline for your body shape will not only elongate your upper body shape but also it will give you a balanced proportion to your body shape
6. Choose your fabrics wisely. Curvy women do not need stiff fabrics that will add volume to their shape, curvy women need to choose soft, almost flowy fabrics for their body shape to avoid unnecessary fashion faux par attention