She was listed one of the most inspiring woman on 2006 Essence magazine list. Vanity Fair listed her among “10 of the World’s Best Dressed People.” She was an honorary guest at Oprah Winfrey’s Legends Ball as a “young’un” paying tribute to the ‘Legends,’ which helped pave the way for African American Women. In September 2007, 02138 magazine listed her 58th of ‘The Harvard 100’; a list of the prior year’s most influential Harvard alumni. In July 2008, she made a repeat appearance on the Vanity Fair international best dressed list. She also appeared on the 2008 People list of best-dressed women and was praised by the magazine for her “classic and confident” look.
Newsweek described her first trip abroad as an exhibition of her so-called “star power” and MSN described it as a display of sartorial elegance. She has been compared to Jacqueline Kennedy due to her sense of style, and also to Barbara Bush for her discipline and decorum. Michelle Obama’s style has been described as “fashion populist”. In 2010, she wore clothes, many high end, from more than 50 design companies with less expensive pieces from J. Crew and Target, and the same year a study found that her patronage was worth an average of $14 million to a company. She became a fashion trendsetter, in particular favoring sleeveless dresses, including her first-term official portrait in a dress by Michael Kors, and her ball gowns designed by Jason Wu for both inaugurals.
She appeared on the cover and in a photo spread in the March 2009 issue of Vogue. Every First Lady since Lou Hoover (except Bess Truman) has been in Vogue, but only Hillary Clinton had previously appeared on the cover. In August 2011, she became the first woman to appear on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, as well as the first person to appear on the cover in 48 years. During the 2013 Academy Awards, she became the first First Lady to announce the winner of an Oscar (Best Picture which went to Argo)
But why has she received so many accolades and crowned a fashion icon and a role model to women? Why is there so many fuss about her? Why is she been celebrated and respected worldwide? If you typed Michelle Obama on to the Google search engine, you will get over four hundred and seventy-three million(473,000,000) results per 0.50 seconds. Now that’s a lot of result and out that great result, you will find two hundred and fifty-three million(253,000,000) results per (0.56 seconds) from the Google search engine dedicated to honour her fashion and style sense. Many of these results focusing on designs she wore and her fashion prowess, not a single one asked why is she a fashion icon and a role model to so many women? Is it because she is Michelle Obama, President Obama’s wife, the first black lady in the white house? or is there a secret in her cupboard. We searched the internet to know why she is such a darling worldwide and we cam up with the following reasons. Do you agree to any of these or is there something else you would like to add? We look forward to your response.
1. She is a beauty and brainy. She is an American lawyer and writer. She earned her Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from Harvard Law School in 1988. Throughout 2007 and 2008, she helped campaign for her husband’s presidential bid. She delivered a keynote address at the 2008 Democratic National Convention and also spoke at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
2. She is humanitarian and an advocate for poverty awareness, nutrition, and healthy eating. First Lady Michelle Obama is an advocate on behalf of military families, helping working women balance career and family, encouraging national service, and promoting the arts and arts education.
3. She is family Oriented. She is a supportive wife and a doting mother. She is a high-profile African-American woman in a stable marriage, married to Barack Obama and has two adorable children, Malia Ann (born 1998) and Natasha (known as Sasha, born 2001). She was raised in what she describes as a “conventional” home, with “the mother at home, the father works, you have dinner around the table”. The family entertained together by playing games such as Monopoly and by reading. They attended services at nearby South Shore Methodist Church. The Robinsons used to vacation in a rustic cabin in White Cloud, Michigan. Obama has made supporting military families and spouses a personal mission and has been increasingly bonding with military families. According to her aides, stories of the sacrifice these families make move her to tears.
4. She took a fashion road less traveled, walking away from heavyweights like Oscar de la Renta, Ralph Lauren and Carolina Herrera and choosing to give some newbies and/or smaller houses a chance. She gave Jason Wu a meteoric jump-start with her first inaugural gown, broadened black female designer Tracy Reese’s reach with a sunny People magazine cover and has championed a whole host of other creators—Maria Pinto, Narciso Rodriguez, Thakoon, Tracy Feith, Rachel Roy—many who got the kind of shine they hadn’t dared dream about before her reign.
6. She does high street, online and high labelled designs well. She’s been seen in #Asos dress, She’s been seen in Zac Posen dress and jacket, She’s donned Tracy Reese frocks, J Crew ensembles, Jones New York, J. Mendell tailore jacket and chiffon skirt, Tracy Feith dress, #Kaleidoscope print dress amongst all others.
8. She is trendy. Whether she is on official errands, on Television, on the red carpet or in the white house, Come what may, you will not catch Mrs O. off guard. She always turns out immaculately dress and decent.
9. She is healthy, stays fit and promotes general well being of the society. With toned arms and guns, you cannot but nor covet Mrs O’s healthy lifestyle. No wonder she looks amazing at 50. Who doesn’t want to be like Michelle Obama at 50?
Michelle Obama is truly worthy of becoming the First lady of United States. She exudes 12 habits and virtues of a highly effective lady. She influences people around her and promotes others who are seemingly below her. She raises her head up and casts off all restraints defying all her critics the joy of bringing her down. If you must copy her, If you want to be like Michelle Obama, do not not copy only her fashion style, copy her habits and lifestyle too. I am sure this will elevate your status quo.