A friend of mine went through silent bullying on her fashion sense recently. She showcases her sense of fashion and style everyday and always dare to be different. Somebody said of her “She always dresses up as if everyday is Christmas”, I thought why not?, Why can’t a girl express her passion for fashion everyday?
Why is it such a big deal for her bullies to continue to taunt her simply because she chose to dare and be different, Why is it such a grievous mistake to showcase your fashion and style sense in a working or social environment?
Another friend of mine is always taunted on his good looking dapper style on everyday basis. People know him for his style but expects that a man of his stature and influence should be more conservative in their sense of style. Doesn’t that golden rule say ‘Stand up to be seen and Speak up to be heard’?
Is wearing something cute that makes you feel good a “strange” thing to do? Is putting an effort into what you wear an unusual thing to do? why should dressing up be reserved for special occasions only? and why must we put people in a box and not allow their personality to shine through?
As I mulled over these scenarios, I came up with a few pointers below. I also stumbled on a long list by College Fashion which I immediately adopted to the list.
So what does it mean to dress up and why do we or should we dress?
Here are good reasons for you to consider dressing up everyday of your life.
- Simply for the golden rule, Stand up to be seen, Speak up to be heard. Find your voice, Express your Style.Nobody will notice you except you reveal yourself.
- Because life’s too short to blend in. Don’t settle for average.
- Because life is about experiences, do it anyway to avoid any regrets
- Because you need to live in life and not just exist
- Because you only live once, Seize the opportunity
- Because you never know who is watching you, Your future husband might be watching your sense of style
- Because you’re only young once. You’re way more gorgeous than you know & have a fabulous body you’ll one day look back on and wish you had! Take advantage now and show off how fabulous you can be.
- Because fashion is a method of self expression. What are you trying to say?
- Because you never know who you’ll run into. Brad Pitt at the grocery store? Hey, stranger things have happened.
- Because it obviously annoys some people (like the guy who asks why YOU are so dressed up). The fact that it annoys them so much is all the more reason to keep doing it.
- Because you never know, there’s always a chance you could get snapped by The Sartorialist (or maybe the girls over at Street Spotted)!
- Because you deserve to look your best at all times.
- Because you’ll never improve your sense of style if your default look is “I give up”. Yes, that was a Seinfeld reference. But it’s true!
- Because dressing up helps you weed out friends who don’t love you for you. If they have a problem with the way you dress, they’re not the kind of friends you want around.
- Because cute clothes and accessories are a great conversation starter. Wear something fabulous and people will ask you where you got it.
- Because parties aren’t the only time to celebrate.
- Because that fabulous party dress in your closet cost too much to only be worn once. Remember cost per wear?
- Because it’s fun!
- Because even if you live in an “unstylish” city & are scared to dress up, cities don’t become stylish without someone going first. I know it sounds cheesy, but be the change you want to see in the world. Everyone else can follow your fabulous lead.
- Because dressing up helps you make fashion mistakes and get past them. Mistakes happen to everyone and that’s how you learn what not to do – get them out of the way now!
- Because it’s a test of your confidence. Dressing unconventionally forces you to develop the self-assurance necessary to stand out from everyone else.
- Because fashion is one of the rare instances where art comes alive. What artistic statement do you want to make?
- Because if you’ve got it (great style, killer confidence, amazing legs), it’s just wrong not to flaunt it.
- Because someday when you have a 9-5 corporate job and are required to wear business suits, you’re going to miss the freedom of dress you had in college. Experiment now! There’s no better time.
- Because glamour isn’t only reserved for the rich and famous, even though maybe they’d like you to believe it is.
- Because if conspiracy theorists are to be believed, the world might end on 12/31/2012 – that’s only 1211 days from now! Even though we all worried about Y2K too, why not be on the safe side? Don’t spend the theoretical 1211 days you have left in sweats.
- Because Carrie Bradshaw would not approve of your sweatpants and UGG boots. You can do better than that. And deep down, you know I’m right.
- Because dressing well means you don’t have to do your hair at all – you’ll have that ultra fabulous, slightly disheveled Kate Moss look.
- Because nothing beats the rush you feel when you look in the mirror and LOVE what you see.
- Because you want to. That’s the only reason that matters.
Why do YOU dress up?
What do you think? Do you make an effort to dress up every day? What inspires you to put effort into your look? Tell me what you think by leaving a comment.